Sunday, September 26, 2010

Quick Recipes: Teriyaki Chicken

I am no gourmet chef.  I have heard people say they don't have time to cook, and I never really understood. 
Until I no longer had time to cook.
A rundown of this week -
  • Monday:  McDonald's on the run between dance and basketball.
  • Tuesday:  Sonic crammed in between work and family photos.
  • Wednesday:  Cafe McCree (dinner at the church.  This week's theme - Mexican.)
  • Thursday:  Chinese buffet before more dance and basketball.
  • Friday:  lunch - Chicken Express.  Dinner -family came in = Montana's fine eatery.
  • Saturday:  Lunch?  I cooked!  Go me!  Frozen pizza (my mom is cringing right now.  I know this for a fact.)
  • Sunday:  church, golf, housework/projects = Subway!
That's really sad.
So I have decided to marinate some chicken for tomorrow.
And I thought I would share with you some of my techniques and recipes. 
I just re-read that sentence and laughed out loud.

Teriyaki Chicken
My Mom's recipe
Her words, "This is the one that has been so popular, 
especially with chicken and pineapples."

This is ginger.  They have it at the grocery store sometimes. 
Your checker may or may not know what it is when you check out.  
Expect strange looks.  
Peel it, chop it finely.
Or just toss it in a chopper.
Add some garlic.  I used the jarred kind.  
So sue me.
Sure, that amount right there will do.
Then add some soy sauce and water.  However much.  

Go ahead and drain the bottle, why don't ya?
 Now add some sugar.
Sugar.  Your children will love it.

Add some chicken.  
This was a couple of days out of date, but it was also kind of frozen.  
I think we'll live.
Marinate overnight in fridge.
Then you grill it over charcoal, or throw it on the George Foreman, broil it, or stick it in the crock pot.

Mom's exact recipe which I hunted down just for you:
  • 3 cups soy sauce (Kikkoman is your friend.)
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water (Mom probably uses purified.  I go with tap.)
  • 2 T ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic (Mom uses fresh.  Her chicken is better than mine.)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is a mother's dream, to think that there are some traditions to carry on! Love this recipe. However, I have not cooked a meal in what, maybe four months. Jeff does all the cooking. I need to share this tradition with him!
    Actually, there are some very good frozen pizzas out there.

    ReplyDelete