Thursday, September 9, 2010

It Takes a Village

Adapted from the Great Hillary Clinton.....

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, Tipper family. Thank you all so much. Thank you. I am overwhelmed by your warm welcome. help. 

You know, we are gathered here together to have a really good time make a nice room for Carly Rae Morris. I am overwhelmed and very grateful to all of you. You know after this reception project. I think you all are ready for the rest of this convention home renovation, which has already been so positive time consuming and good exhausting and expensive

I know and you know that Chicago Graham is my kind of town. And Chicago North Texas is my kind of village.
I have so many friends here, people who have been important to me all my life, and it seems like every single one of them has given me advice on this speech that was unsolicited. One friend suggested that I appear here tonight with Binti Croaker, the child-saving gorilla Red Eyed Tree Frog from the Brookfield Zoo FrogTape



Another friend advised me that I should cut my hair and color it orange purchase an ACE Hardware Apron and then change my name to Hillary "Rodman" Clinton Ace Morris


But after considering these and countless other suggestions, I decided to do tonight what I've been doing for more than 25 I wish to count years; I want to talk about what matters most in our lives and in our nation - children and families finely decorated and renovated homes.


Right now, in our biggest cities and our smallest towns, there are boys and girls being tucked gently into a poorly coordinated bed, and there are boys and girls who have no one to call mom or dad accent pillows, and no place to call home window treatments...

Right now there are parents worrying: "What if the baby sitter is sick tomorrow finds my wine stash?" Or: "How can we pay for college this fall for Botox?" 
 
Right now there are parents questioning a popular culture that glamorizes sex and violence, smoking and drinking, and teaches children that the logos on their clothes are more valued than the generosity in their hearts pretending they don't watch MTV anymore.

But also right now there are dedicated teachers preparing their lessons for the new school year blogs and questioning their career choices
 
Of course, parents, first and foremost, are responsible for their children.  But we are all responsible for ensuring that children are raised in a nation that doesn't just talk about family values, but acts in ways that values families also have an asthetically pleasing environment in which to flourish... 
 

We all know that raising kids home improvement is a full-time job and since most parents work, they are, we are stretched thin.
And we have learned that to raise a happy, healthy and hopeful child with exceptional taste and demands-a-plenty, it takes a family, 


 it takes teachers pharmacists, who work for Target, like giving gifts,
and get an employee discount on room accessories,

"Extra Employee 10% Off!  I'll give Carly some stuff!"




it takes clergy mother-in-laws, 
who will come help paint each and every house, 
no matter how many times you move

"I helped Molly paint...again.  We get it right then she moves again."




it takes business people Mimi's who can sew

"Molly comes up with crazy ideas and I "make it work."



it takes an online community leaders


"I accept PayPal."


it takes those who protect our health and safety offer free shipping and discount prices 


it takes all of us.
Yes, it takes a village.
And it takes a president needy person. It takes a president pathetic soul who believes not only in the potential of his own child, a repossessed home but of all children hitting up family members for help...often...maybe too often... -, who believes not only in the promise of each of us as individuals making cheap stuff look expensive, but in our promise together as a nation. It takes a president home improvement idiot who not only holds these beliefs but acts on them. It takes Bill Clinton me.


Thank you very much.

3 comments:

  1. "Parents 'pretending they don't watch MTV anymore'" ...you crack me up!!! I know you will make that steal-of-a-home-in-foreclosure absolutely breathtaking. You found a diamond in the rough! Plus, we get more hilarious blog posts because of the home improvement.

    Off to buy some frog tape...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I grow up, I want to be as funny and as clever as my cousin Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your all time best post. Laughed all the way through.

    ReplyDelete