Friday, June 17, 2011

You know, that patriotic THING!!!

Have you ever wanted to order something on the internet, but you didn't know the name of what you needed?  This happens to me a lot because either a) I look for weird stuff to order online or b) my very limited vocabulary, especially when it comes to home improvement, is a major impairment.

For example, I googled "Plexiglass thing to cover my florescent light" when I needed a plexiglass thing to cover my florescent light.

I am called a "Light Diffuser Panel" and am not available in your size online.
And most recently, I wanted one of those semi-circle flag things to hang out front.  You know, the patriotic kind.

So I Googled "4th of July decor" and received these results:
Images from Coolglow.com
No, that's not what I am looking for!  It is a flag thing... So I googled "Flag Decor"
(source)
No!  That's not it!  If I wanted a pink-flamingo-wearing-a-Santa-hat-with-a-present-in-its-mouth flag, I would've Googled "pink-flamingo-wearing-a-Santa-hat-with-a-present-in-its-mouth flag."  Come on technology, work with me here.

Then I tried "Patriotic Flag"

And I am not even kidding, this was the first result. (source)

Really, people, that is just WEIRD! 

Finally, I used all the words I could muster and Googled "Patriotic flag drape decoration"

May I introduce you to B-U-N-T-I-N-G?  (source)

I thought bunting was "hitting a short distance at bat," but actually, I learned a new word!  Or I guess I really just learned a new definition of an old word.
Bunting home at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment