Monday, May 10, 2010

"A house is made of bricks and stone...

...but a home is made from love alone."

This phrase was on my mind today as I looked around my home at my many home accessories.  I often wonder if the little trinkets and gifts that I have collected along the way are the very things that make my house a home, or if it is o.k. to trash them now and then and start over. 

Each year, we have Pizza and Pajamas at Christmas.


If these are the memories my children have, the "love" that makes our home, then can I unload some of my accessories such as this:

See the spiral candle holder in the background.  Am I wrong in thinking that it was on an episode of Friends about 10 (15, 20) years ago? And I HAD to have one, so I stalked Pottery Barn until I found one on sale.  I am so sick of that thing.  Can I get rid of it?  Or is it going to be something that my grand kids think is really cool one day.  That Gramma's house has the hippest old stuff.  My grandparents really do have the coolest stuff.
This reflective owl has greeted us as we arrived at the Poling Ranch for as long as I can remember.  The home behind it, where my mom grew up, has since burned, but the owl has held his own.  It would not be the same without the owl.

Here's the difference:  I purchased a massed-produced item that you can now find at any Target or discount store.  My grandparents bought unique items at craft shows or from crafty friends, or they made things themselves. 

So I'm thinking that I really am a part of the "throw away generation."  But I can't help it.  The spiral, the horrible-mass-produced-so-over-it-candle-holder-that-you-can't-light-the-candles-without-ruining-the-wall spiral,  has put me into its last trance.  Free to a loving home (or I'll bring it to the family reunion Crap Swap.)

4 comments:

  1. It's so true. As much as I want to get everything at art festivals, the mass produced stuff is so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On HGTV, they would turn it horizontally, paint it a wild color and somehow make it into a chandelier. Or you could plant tiny herbs in each little glass - really tiny herbs. Or you could use it for tequilla shots at your next party if you melt out the candles. Or you could...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point mom. I can spray it black, cover it with glass, and make an end table. Or I could cover it with peanut butter, roll it in birdseed, and hang it from a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the birdseed idea. Doesn't that qualify for going green? You get really big points for that.

    Or you could put a circular rotator on the bottom, place it on your table like a lazy Susan, give ita spin, and grab your favorite "fast" food at the table.

    ReplyDelete