Monday, May 3, 2010

Black is Beautiful!

This blog was supposed to be about painting, and I actually do paint when I'm not baking a Yoshi cake and rescreening my porch.  Today's painting tip involves My Boyz:  Black Spray Paint and High Heat Black Spray Paint.*
Lowe's Home Improvement, circa 2000.  
*Must be 18 years or older to purchase. 

The last three houses we have purchased have had shiny metal on the fireplace.  I am not a fan of shiny metal, unless I am wearing it.  I am about to show you why.  You might want to put on your sunglasses now.  You have been forewarned.

Look at it glaring at me in these photos from our San Antonio home:
 
Ouch!  Completely ruined my photos!!!  

And it's winking here at our Big Spring Home, where apparently the builders could not afford the COMPLETE brass look, so they went with the racing stripe effect:

 Even my dog looks confused.  
I don't know why anyone would purchase that, Rex.  I just do not know.

Using my High Heat Boy, which is made for painting your charcoal grill (like, really?  people do that?)  I have remedied my problem.  This is the redone Big Spring fireplace:

Amazing results from an aerosol can!

I think I was feeling the San Antonio Cultura when I went with this look:

Oh, Molly, no.  But at least the brass is gone.  
This is the second brick fireplace that I have painted.  On the first (before my digital camera existed) it was so bad that we overheard our realtor tell potential buyers, "They have kept the house in great shape, but they painted the fireplace burnt orange."  
I have also used the Boyz to update light fixtures,  this used to be brass:

It's still kind of ugly, and it took me forever.

In closing, sometimes resisting the Boyz proves itself difficult, what with their tempting ways from the back corner of the garage.  Case in point:  my daughter is outgrowing her bike.  My son needs a bike.   The Boyz want to convert Carly's pink and purple bike with heart treads on the tires into a very masculine, testosterone-charged SuperMarioBros/Yoshi bike for my son.  All I need is a seat cover (pretty sure paint won't stick to the vinyl seat cover without leaving some black sediment on the hind of rider) and some sweet decal stickers.
Who's with me on this one?  
Anyone?  Anyone?


4 comments:

  1. Fascinating that a can of spray paint has lasted that long! I'm donating all of my cans to you. I'm sure we have at least one can of black in the back corner of our garage!

    In picture #5 (Big Spring "after" pic), is that you on the tv screen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative. Who could write about this and make it entertaining. You get a 4 on the TAKS writing test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several brass ceiling fans that I keep thinking about painting...and experience in that category? If I fly you to Tulsa, will you do it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have purchased and hung about 10 ceiling fans (6 alone in this house.) Best thing to do is buy a new one. They are a pain to hang, but not impossible, even for a beginner. And you can get them for around $100. Buy one at a time and make slow progress. I would help if I could! I can actually hang a ceiling fan by myself. That's how I knew how to reattach the pulley at Walt's last summer! I generally order from Lowe's online.

    ReplyDelete