Thursday, March 25, 2010

The M Effer of All Projects

This project did not involve paint, but it is definitely a project worth sharing! I have seen many a "Sell this House" episode in which metal sheeting was applied to an appliance, giving it an instant face lift and blast into the current century. I was hoping to do the same with this little number circa 1994:I hunted around and ordered some metal sheeting. I think the cost was around $90 a roll, which was pretty inexpensive versus the alternative. Obviously I was looking for a cheap update or I would've just saved myself the trouble and hauled myself up to Sears. Or maybe I was trying to save myself from the CREEPY people that work at Sears here in my small town. Here's the deal - have you ever tried to wallpaper and when you were almost finished, it dawns on you that you are out of paper. Me, being both a tight ass and a "gotta finish what you start" kind of gal, I never wished to order another roll. So I would find myself searching around on the ground for leftover pieces to patch up my remaining wall. This was neither fun nor visually appealing. So how does this relate to metal sheeting? Well, you don't get much for your $90. So you gotta be careful or your fancy new "stainless look" appliance will have a seam running down the middle of it. This is hint #1 to mastering this M Effer Project.
Next, if you decide to stick your oven in a time machine and transport it to the future, I would recommend you wear gloves. As I was trying to cut and measure, and figure out exactly how I was going to maneuver the handles and buttons on my oven and microwave, it dawned on me that this was not going to be as easy as it looks on HGTV. I tend to get tunnel vision, and I was so involved in my cutting and measuring and getting this the hell done so I can enjoy my awesome stainless look appliances, that I didn't realize that I my hands were bleeding from multiple wounds until I saw the blood dripping on my stainless sheeting. Lucky me, the sheeting is pretty washable. That was one positive thing I can say. Anyway, hint #2 is wear gloves when you get after this M Effer Project. Especially if you are squeamish.
Finally, I began to stick the sheeting on the appliances. It is very much like using Contact Paper. There was excessive bubbling. At one point, I even got a needle to begin popping the bubbles to release the air underneath. This technique did not enhance the stainless look. So hint #3 is find a way to not make bubbles in the first place. Sounds easy. But it's not. So good luck solving that issue on your own. If you do figure it out do NOT feel the need to share your hints with me.
Here is how the project is going at this point:
Not bad. See the little "window" in the oven? That wasn't easy. Well, throughout the project, I had growing frustrations, what with my increasing physical pain and the frustration of the seams and bubbles, not to mention my husband and his friend watching from the recliners in the living room (not helping) and laughing at me. I was several hours in at that point and I had to give up on the bubbles. My goal shifted. All I needed to do was trim the sheeting's edges really cleanly so that no one would cut themselves just walking by. So I was working on that, and I'm sure my knife was a little dull at that point. I just could not get it straight, and close enough that it wouldn't be dangerous. And I don't know what compelled me to do the next thing that I did..... most likely a lack of blood flow to the brain...I took my finger....and ran it down....the edge.....to see if it was sharp....and I proceeded to cut myself VERY DEEPLY. Drops of blood began to fall on my white tile and I screamed IT. Yes, I screamed it for my innocent children, my doting husband, my neurotic dog, and the poor friend my husband had invited into our loving home. I yelled, "MOTHER FU@#ER!!!!"

Here is what my oven/micro combo looks like after:
Isn't it pretty? I got it at Sears. From the Creepy Guy. And I just finished paying it off! And I also got a new countertop and backsplash. No blood transfusion required! (But the project cost a little more than I was anticipating.)
My final tip is very simple - just skip this mother and go to Sears.

5 comments:

  1. Molly, You are so funny! We need you to help us with our fireplace project! The more we learn about it the more complicated it gets. I am pretty sure there will be a few funny stories and the F-bomb will be dropped at least once before it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write-up Molly! I can't believe you attempted the sheet metal project. Very, very brave. I totally know where you're coming from though. It's hard to drop so much money on a 30-year old eye sore (at least that's how old mine was)when it still works like a champ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff and I are rolling in the floor laughing at your rendition of home improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been pondering something for a while, and maybe we could team up and make it happen...a class action lawsuit against HGTV for making so many people feel like incapable idiots...what do you say?

    Love the oven...you are NOT an incapable idiot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funniest thing I've read in a while! I can't decide if you're a better home do-it-your-selfer or writer...you've got definite talent in both arenas!

    ReplyDelete